Sunday, November 2, 2008

VOTE NO ON PROP 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I don't know why this proposition speaks to me so strongly. To be honest, I've never much been one for politics. Don't get me wrong, I always vote and I sometimes have strong opinions about certain issues. But James is the political person in our house...see, I don't even know the correct "political vocab" to use! So bear with me.

I am more anxious about Prop 8 being passed than Obama losing. It's very strange. While it would suck big time to have another 4 years with a Republican in the presidential seat, I think it would be devastating to have Proposition 8 passed. (For you Brits, Swiss and other non-Californians, click here for details.)

I just can not believe people, CALIFORNIANS no less, would support a proposition to eliminate same-sex marriage. WHY? If you're straight, how does it affect you? It doesn't! Why should you care if gay people can get married or not? It infuriates me to no end. This is the 21st century, people. There was a time when black people could not marry outside their race...that time is no more. This should be the same thing.

Which brings me to today...I walked around busy parts of Oakland, pushing Dorian in his stroller and proudly displaying my "No on Prop 8" sign. I got some honks, waves and thumbs-up but I also got some people walking past who said "Yes on Prop 8" (or something to that effect). There were about 7-8 of them. Now, I am sorry to generalize here (TRULY I AM) but I am mad. They were all black people. Only Caucasians beeped, waved or gave me the thumbs up. Of course I know there are black people who will vote against Prop 8 and Caucasians who will vote for it, but I was pretty pissed today. My mom and I were talking about it, and we are assuming this is because many of the African-Americans in Oakland attend church (don't get me started again on religion!). Once again, I am generalizing here and truly do not mean to offend anyone, but it seems to me that African-Americans would want to vote no on Prop 8. It wasn't so long ago they were in the same boat! I just don't get it.

Anyway, there was one interaction I had today that actually makes me laugh. I was at a stoplight and this black man said to me, "Are you and your partner currently married?" I said, "Yes, my husband and I are." The man said, "Oh, you're not a lesbian?" I shook my head. He asked, "Why are you doing this then?" I responded, "Because it's the right thing to do!" He said "Well, I'm voting 'yes.'" Right. Because only gay people are against Prop 8. Surely straight people are all for it.

Tomorrow James is going to accompany me for part of the day...we're going to carry "No on Prop 8" signs and push our adorably cute Dorian in his stroller. A straight couple with a child who is fully against Prop 8. If anyone wants to join us, please let me know. I also hope to go out with some other moms and their babies and do the same thing tomorrow and then again on Tuesday. Surely if enough of us do this, we CAN make a difference. The online polls show the race is so close...I couldn't live with myself if I didn't at least try to get a few more votes for the "No" side.

No on Proposition 8. STAY EVOLVED!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You GO girl!