Sunday, April 26, 2009
Sleepless in Oakland
I spent over 6 hours getting Dorian to sleep yesterday (3 for nap, 3.25 for bed). He finally fell asleep at 9:20pm and woke at 4:05am (and woke several times in between). I am exhausted and miserable. Him? Happy. Very happy. Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked he's happy...the alternative is horrendous! Sometimes when he's tired he's just a crankster, throwing temper tantrums left, right and center. So, yes, I am glad he is happy this morning. But how? HOW? How can he be so happy on so little sleep? I am watching him dance and sing along to Sesame Street right now...he keeps taking a break from dancing to run over and hug me. He has said three new words this morning - "Dirty," "Tiger" and "Pineapple." How can he function - no, thrive - on so little sleep? It baffles me. Maybe my child really is a child prodigy...I read in a parenting book last year that some kids who never sleep end up being geniuses - basically, their brains run in overdrive and they can't sleep because they're thinking so much - I have clung to this idea ever since - how else can a mama stay sane on so little sleep? There's gotta be a reason he doesn't sleep, right? (Don't you dare tell me the brain overdrive/no sleep/child prodigy concept was just made up to help overtired parents cope!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment