Thursday, February 12, 2009

First Night Away from Dorian

It's been a good week. I spent my first night ever apart from Dorian last night. Apparently, he did great! I was a wreck. I slept worse away from him! The whole point was for me to get a good night's sleep, but I still woke every couple hours and couldn't get back to sleep because I was worrying that he was screaming with me gone. I guess I think too highly of myself. James said he was totally happy to cuddle with him instead of me in order to fall back asleep each time he awoke. It's a huge relief. Now I know I can spend some nights apart from him, and there will be some in March and April once tax season really gets hopping and the commute to and from Half Moon Bay gets old. I stayed over with my friend Dorana last night and it was really great to just be a girl again. We drank some wine, ate cookies, watched American Idol and celeb gossip shows, flipped through fashion magazines and talked about all our colleagues. It was so fun!

I have an incredible amount of schoolwork to do this week-end (I am still playing catch-up from when we were ill) and I want to spend some time with my son too. It's going to be a busy few days, and then it's back to work on Monday. I love work. Silly, I know, because what do I do? Um. Let's see. Quite a lot. But most of the tasks are quite boring if you break them down. Filing. Answering phones. Data entry type work. Proofreading. But my colleagues are awesome. The phone calls are all really pleasant - no nasty clients to deal with or anything like that. My boss is generally in a really good mood. He brings in treats for the office and tax season lunches (and massages!) will start up soon. It really is a great place to work. I don't even usually mind the commute, unless there's bad traffic. I get a couple hours a day to listen to music and collect my thoughts without thinking I have to do schoolwork, clean-up, etc (impossible to do while driving!) Half of the drive has some pretty stunning scenery to look at. It could be worse. I know I'll probably change my tune when I have to do the drive every day but for the moment, I'm actually enjoying it.

I still don't feel very rested, but I'm back on the coffee and that helps me get through the day and be a lot less cranky about my lack of sleep. I had 2 cups of coffee, a large latte, 2 cups of black tea and a Coke today. No wonder it's 11pm and I can't fall asleep now. Caffeine is not so good when you need to go to sleep. Hmmmm. I didn't really think this through. It could be a vicious cycle. I can see it now. Perhaps I would be better off staying off the caffeine.

No comments: