Friday, February 13, 2009

One more $%#c^!@ temper tantrum...

And I swear to god I'm putting this kid up for adoption.

How do you DEAL with the toddler years??????????????????

I so prefer the baby year.

Dorian is still refusing to sleep. It sucked getting him down for a nap today. Then he woke up cranky and wouldn't go back to sleep for longer. Last night sucked too. He refused to fall asleep until 9pm (after A LOT of struggle). Then he woke loads in the night and even screamed, just for fun, around 1am. I think James did better without me (when I was at work for those couple days). Do I give off bad vibes or something? James said Dori probably still remembers that I used to nurse him whenever he wanted and he gets reminded of it when I try to cuddle him to sleep. Whatever it is, it sucks!!! I really don't like this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it does suck. I remember Brendan being about that age and we were getting off the Small World ride in Disneyland when my mother tried to help lift him out of the boat. He screamed bloody murder, "MOMMA DO IT!!" over and over again. I swear, everyone in that park would have thought I was murdering the kid. But if I was at work or something he wouldn't do things like that.

Dorian knows what he can get away with when you're there. The routine has been changed and he's testing his limits (and your patience) to see if things will change back if he throws fits. Kids are a heck of a lot smarter than we'd like to think they are. I have no idea what the secret is to dealing with it, other than willing yourself to be more stubborn than he is.

Dotty P said...

It is a tough and mostly Thankless task being a Mum. Just as you solve one issue, another comes on through to keep you awake and struggling! It's a good job they are so cute at other times.
How I used to think about it with Ro and Josh (before the age of being able to explain and talk about consequences) was that they only knew where the bounderies were by testing them, and not just once, they have to test you again and again before reality really sinks in. And he will push you further than anyone else because he knows you love him, and will love him no matter what.
I have always tried to avoid getting into a battle of wills where someone wins and someone loses, I would lose alot! the kids always had much more energy to devote to their cause than I did! I just tried keeping to the few rules I had, bedtime has never been a strict one for us really, when Ro was little he would go to bed between 9-10 as a matter of course, it seemed to suit us all. The rules now, such as "after the bedtime story, you're on your own", are compromised most nights by someone needing a wee / drink / extra cuddle. They know excactly how to bend the rules, I guess that's what they're designed to do. They also remember anytime WE break a rule, (i.e. Phil let them watch a dvd in bed the other night - strict "No-no" when I'm around! not only did they not sleep well that night, the next night they totally kicked up about it. Phil now has an up-to-date list of the rules!!) It might be worth checking that you and Jim are doing exactly the same things?
Your bonds are so strong Kel, you and Dor, that not only does he feel more comfortable pushing you, he knows which buttons to push!
He will come through this, just as he did the weaning eventually.
It's hard trying to keep calm, remember the wosrt that can happen if you walk away for a bit is that he'll cry.
((( Big hugs to you )))
H
x