Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Betrayal

It is so fitting this post should come after my last post "Love," which if you read, will know was all about my love for my husband, stability, certainty. Don't worry, the almighty James did not snap after reading the post. I just found out a friend of a friend is recently single. Her husband left her for another woman. They have a baby a couple months older than Dorian. You hear about this happening too often! Or when the woman is pregnant, or with a tiny little newborn. What is WRONG with men???? It's rarely the woman who leaves, at least while she's pregnant or with a young child. It's always some horny bastard with a one-thought agenda. Sorry, I am not a man-hater. I have been very lucky to have strong male figures in my life...my father, my cousin Eric, my brother (questionable), my grandfather, James and numerous male teachers. I love men, sometimes more than women. Heck, I am outnumbered at home, though Dorian's gender is still up for grabs (he's wearing tights at the moment, loves my lipgloss, and thinks my necklaces are the best thing ever).

I was betrayed by my first love. You never get over the hurt. I wouldn't want to. I feel it makes me more empathetic to other women/men in the same situation. I ached for months. Even after James and I got together, I still couldn't speak about the guy without so much anger and disgust. In the beginning, I thought it was me, that I wasn't pretty enough, thin enough, sexy enough. After we broke up (I finally called it off because I was sick of his cheating ways), I lost weight, bleached my hair blonde, tanned every day (I was in Santa Barbara), dressed trendier, and went out partying every night. I certainly "lived it up" for awhile if you know what I mean. But I was covering up uncertainty about my break-up and intense pain of still loving this person who betrayed me so badly. And we had only been together off and on for 2 years. I can not imagine what someone who is married with a child feels when her partner leaves her.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that most men are scum. And if you find a good one, don't ever let him near other women. Why do you think I'm going back to work and James is staying home with Dorian? Although, I sometimes wonder if I need to rethink this...he goes to playgroups and Gymboree every day where he is usually the only father present. And now there are women whose husbands have left them...in other words, single. Hmmmmmm. Maybe I should just ban James to the house for the rest of his days.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep. Men ARE scum. But it shouldn't shock you that I agree with you on that. lol

My ex-husband cheated on me from the time we got together when we were 16 up until I ended it for good and all around 2002/2003. Brendan and I had moved back in with my parents in '98 when he was a little over two months old, but his dad and I were back and forth for a while.

It's taken y-e-a-r-s for me to end up like I am. (which is a cynical, not-trusting-anything-with-a-penis bitch) I've encountered more bad examples than good, and eventually it wore me down.

I place an equal amount of blame on "the other woman," though. The way I see it, if a guy is taken he's neuter. (no offense meant, guys) Guys say, "Bros before hos," so the female equivalent ought to be "Chicks before dicks," but all too often a trollop of a homewrecker comes along and there it goes. Sometimes good ole karma will come along and pay her out in kind, though. After all, if he'll cheat WITH you, he'll cheat ON you.

Hopefully this woman will progress swiftly through all of the self-blame stuff and realize she's better off without the jerk. And her baby is, too. Kids are smarter than we give them credit for and it won't take long for hers to figure out that Daddy is a waste of a carbon based life form.

Kelly said...

Astrea, I am sorry. No woman (or man, for that matter) deserves to be treated like this. Luckily, you seem stronger and better for it. And you've got the brightest, most amazing kid I've ever met (apart from Dorian and my two nephews, of course). I truly mean that - his intelligence blows me away. That's all down to you, you realize! You should be very proud.

Carey said...

Women can be scum too!! I've been watching some of our best friends go through a divorce - they (2 women) have 2 children, a 1.5 year old daughter and a 3 year old Autistic son. One left the other for another woman when their daughter wasn't even one yet!! I just don't get that. My heart breaks for them and their children.