
The theater has closed. I am so very sad about this. I loved that place! I have been going to it since I turned 21. It was our date place. We went to see movies there with Dorian (Baby Brigade). Picture, pizza and pub (and comfy couches). For $5. It was incredible. Beautiful decor inside - very art deco. Wonderfully maintained. Lots of Oakland events held at the theater. Oscar bashes. Election night parties. Indie flicks. The occasional band night. Charity events. Truly the real gem of our neighborhood. I am so worried about what it's going to mean for the neighborhood...everything was starting to pick up and get "prettified" (or gentrified as my friend PRS puts it, but I don't care - whatever it takes). I grew up in the neighborhood and it was somewhat unsafe when I was child. And parts of it were downright ugly - liquor stores, graffiti, trash. In the past 10 years, the neighborhood has really changed. I am convinced part of this was down to the Parkway, which re-opened 12 years ago. And now it is another product of this f@#$ing economy. When will the madness end?
RIP my beloved Parkway (both pictures taken on closing night, 3/21/09)

1 comment:
you made it over on closing night? man, I'm going to miss it.
Post a Comment