I am tired of people telling me what to do and what not to do. I am an adult. I am truly an adult now. I have been waiting for years to finally feel like an adult and I think I finally am. I am married with a baby. I have a good head on my shoulders and I pay all my own bills. True, I don't own my own home or even have a proper job yet but I think most people would see me as "grown-up." So why do people still feel the need to advise me and criticize me? A friend left a comment on Crockbaby and it got me thinking...she's right, how dare other people tell me how to parent my child??? I'm not talking about a minor piece of wisdom here or there or well-meaning words from friends, but how dare some stranger on the street tell me to put a sunhat on my baby (yes, this has happened twice!) or to give him a pacifier!!!! How dare someone tell me that I am being inconsistent by pulling my baby in to bed when he cries. Excuse me, who is Dorian's mother?
Family members are the worst. I love my entire extended family but there were definitely some limits/rules that had to be set when Dorian was born. And yet, lines are crossed all the time. A baby is supposed to make a family stronger and I feel like so often, it just creates issues with those I love. A family member criticized me for starting a new blog just so I could complain this morning and that infuriated me...how DARE someone criticize me for complaining on my OWN blog???? (And no, it wasn't one of my parents.) I told this family member that if he/she didn't like me complaining, he/she didn't have to read it. Isn't that the point of blogs? You can write what you want and people who want to read them can, and those who don't, don't. It's really quite simple. How dare someone tell me I can't complain on my own blog???? That's why I started my own so I wouldn't be complaining on Dorian's! I just can't win! ARGH!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm proud to be your friend and admire all that you are doing to learn, grow, explore, adapt with your budding family; starting a new career move going back to school; remaining openly honest before everyone on your blogs. Thank you for being YOU!
Aw, Annie, thanks for your support! I think I just needed to vent earlier. There was just one too many "You should do this" and "Why did you do that?" for one week. With James gone, things just get the better of me somedays. Especially other people...I am going to have to watch that when I'm a nurse! Thanks for being one of my faithful readers (and friend, of course).
Post a Comment