I am finally going to take the plunge. I am going to become a full-fledged vegetarian. I eat a pretty much vegetarian diet anyway since James is one (he's been one for over ten years) and he does all the cooking. I eat meat when we go out or when I get the urge to buy luncheon meat or frozen Trader Joe's dinners with chicken. I have never been a huge red meat eater (except during pregnancy!) anyway. Though I did have my last burger on Friday - a special treat with my Dad.
The more I read about the environment and what we can do to help it, the more ashamed I am to eat meat. I am not even going to begin to going into it here, but if you have any interest in keeping the human race alive (not to mention other animals, obviously), I urge you to do some research. It's terrifying and so sad. If everyone cut back on their meat consumption, the planet would be a much healthier place.
I want Dorian's great grandchildren to see the planet in all its glory. I want them to to be able to breathe without oxygen masks and walk outside their homes. I want them to have learned from our mistakes. I want them to be better human beings than we are. I want them to be able to lead healthy, happy, long lives.
If we keep going the way we're going, the planet will be destroyed and every species on it extinct before too long. It scares the life out me. So, I am taking yet another baby step in becoming a better human. James and I recycle, use green lightbulbs, try not to drive too much. We do many little things. I figure, vegetarianism is just one more thing I can do to try and stop the destruction of our planet.
Now I really am going to have to start eating more vegetables when James is gone! And organic ones at that, and preferably produce purchased at a local farmer's market. Otherwise, it kind of defeats the whole purpose here!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
good for you kel!! i'm debating the same thing. i've learned to eat healthier and could cut chicken out again (i still don't eat red meat) and be fine. the plunge is easy at first and then there are days where you just plain forget that you don't eat meat. you'll love being a complete veg though. i'm so excited for you!!
Post a Comment